MAP provides transport for individuals affected by alcohol and other drugs and at risk of harm to themselves or others from inner Adelaide City to places of safety. Any person, Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal, can access the Mobile Assistance Patrol services.
MAP Program Aims
- To reduce harm arising from the use of alcohol and other substances.
- To improve the safety and well-being of individuals who have been affected by the misuse of alcohol and other substances.
- Maximise the wellbeing of individuals affected by drugs and alcohol by taking them to places of safety including sobering up services and other key services in the inner city.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Sunday
4:00pm – 2:00am
(Times are subject to change, based on demand.)
— Ph: 0411 474 368 —
The MAP program is currently funded by:
- SA Health (DASSA)
- Adelaide City Council
While the Mobile Assistance Patrol service has received funding in the past as a result of the interim report of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody (1988) service provision is not exclusive to Aboriginal people.
Reflecting the organisational philosophy of the Aboriginal Sobriety Group and according to the current Service Agreement, any person, Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal, can access the Mobile Assistance Patrol services.
Client Target Group
People who are intoxicated in unsafe public places within the inner city area of Adelaide who are:
- experiencing harm, or
- who are at a high risk of harm due the influence of drugs or alcohol, and
- are not in a fit state to safely return of their own accord to their home or to a safe place.
The target group is inclusive of:
- Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal
- Aboriginal people who are visitors to the Adelaide inner city and parklands.
- South Australian Police sites within the CBD
The following services will be considered for pick up, subject to availability of our MAP service
- Non metro Police sites
- Royal Adelaide Hospital
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Other similar community services particularly located in inner Adelaide City.
No time limit of pick up can be guaranteed by Mobile Assistance Patrol
- The main focus is in inner Adelaide and the surrounding parkland areas.
- Transportation from inner Adelaide to the broader Metropolitan areas limited to:
– Smithfield in the Northern Suburbs
– Port Noarlunga in the southern suburbs
– Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills
- Clients are not to be transported from metropolitan Adelaide into the inner city of Adelaide at any time.
- MAP is not a replacement for calling a Taxi
- House to house transportation is not provided
- Transportation from Adelaide metropolitan areas to the inner Adelaide city area is not provided.